Pages

Which Lens?

I have been asked several times (not just on the blog) what type of lenses I use, or what type of lens I would recommend.  So, I thought a short little blurb about which lenses I use and why might help anyone who just got a new DSLR for Christmas and is itching to go farther with it. 
I preface this post with "I'm not perfect and I still have a lot to learn", but I have the basics and if I can help anyone learn and enjoy photography then I'm all for it.  Because, well, basically I have a love affair with my camera.  It goes with me more places than my husband does...

The first lens I would recommend to anyone starting out is what most other photographers would agree with.
The 50mm:

Do you hear the angels singing?  Oh, that was just me? Ok...Awkward.  This is my most favorite "go to" lens.  It stays on my camera approximately 85% of the time.  (I sounded really smart there, didn't I?  Don't you think people who throw out percentages when they are talking sound smart? -- Sorry, off track)  I love this lens and the images it creates.  Now, my lens is a 50mm 1.8 - but they have 50mms that are 1.2 or 1.4.  The reason I recommend this as a starter lens, however, is because it is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the 1.2 or 1.4.  Depending on who/where you buy it from you can expect to spend about $100-150 on this lens. 

*One important thing to note about this lens, however, (this applies to Nikon owners, I'm not sure about Canon owners) is this particular lens will NOT work on your camera if you do not have an autofocus motor in the BODY of your DSLR.  This lens is relatively inexpensive because it does not have an autofocus motor in it and so it relies on the motor in your DSLR.  Any model cameras that are considered "entry level" DSLRs, such as the D5000 do not have a autofocus motor in the body.  If you chose to buy this lens anyway...you will just have to manually focus when taking your pictures.


If you do have an "entry level" camera and don't want to break the bank...I recommend the 35mm 1.8.


This little lens is my crush. If my 50mm is my one and only love - then this lens is the movie star I crush on...and not even in secret.

There is not much difference between the 35 and 50mm aside from their focal lengths and price.  You can expect to pay around $200-250 for this lens, but it DOES have the autofocus motor in it so it will work on more entry level cameras if that is what you currently own. 

As for eloquently comparing the two and their differences, I will leave that to the most talented Jasmine Star.  I have learned so much from her that I totally recommend, if you have any interest in pursuing photography at all - whether it be a hobby or a new career, that you check out what she has to say.
You can find her review of the 35mm vs the 50mm here : Jasmine Star

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)